The original Peel Pen Shop was opened in 1954
in Montreal by Charlie and Yvette Culmer. Charlie was an
employee of Waterman in Montreal prior to WWII.
The first location of the business was on Peel Street in
Montreal, hence the name. The business sold fine writing
instruments, accessories and stationery and Charlie did
repairs while Yvette looked after the customers.
Over the years Charlie and Yvette’s two sons Robert and John
grew up and became active in the business on a full time
basis. In 1987 John Culmer and his wife Dolores
relocated to London, Ontario and opened Peel Pen Shop
(London) Inc. pictured on the right.
Robert and his parents remained in
Montreal and operated the Peel Pen shop which is now
located on Union Street. Charlie passed away in 1994,
and Yvette remained active in the business happily
serving customers who over the years, had included such
luminaries as Cardinal Leger,
Dr. Wilder Penfield and
Michael Pitfield, former Clerk of the Privy Council of
John and Dolores continue the Culmer family
tradition of selling and servicing fine writing
instruments and accessories and repairing and restoring
fountain pens of many makes and models including:
Sheaffer, Parker and Waterman. During its time, the Peel Pen Shop had
been the only remaining
full time, independent repair and restoration facility
John Culmer has been
repairing and restoring fountain pens for over thirty
years, having learned the skill from his father Charlie.
John’s skill is such that his services are recommended
by Parker and Waterman and The Battersea Pen Shop in
Great Britain for its North American customers.
Today, although the Peel Pen Shop (London) retail
store location has now closed, John still repairs and sells
antique pens from his home - happily servicing customers
throughout North America and around the world.